How Do I Know I Am Making the Most of My Practice Time?
After you have blocked out the time in your schedule for practicing, what is the best way to make sure you are prepared for your lessons and progressing at a good pace? Here are the top 6 things you can do to maximize your practice time.
1. Practice in a clearly defined practice space.
* Set up a place to practice and do not leave it. Once you have started practicing, do not answer your phone, text, talk to anyone. It is your private singing and practice time; stay on task.
2. Practice what your teacher gives you.
* Voice teachers craft warm-ups (vocalise) for a reason. Start practice with the warm-ups from your previous lessons as well as a few favorites you know warm up your voice well. THEN move on to your repertoire.
3. Practice songs focusing on what your teacher recommended in your lesson in addition to learning new pitches.
* In your lesson, pinpoint 2 or 3 things you should work on during the week in practice. Put it into your own words. i.e. Breath Control (use your laughing muscles) and Breathe only where you have breath marks! You can do this with your teacher in every lesson.
4. Pay active attention to your voice in the moment.
* Make a note of it in both your warm-ups and repertoire. Write down questions for your teacher to take to your next lesson.
5. Ask yourself WHY if things are not going the way you want them to in practice.
* Target the tough areas. (See details for this process next week!)
6. Sing a "Cool Down" for your voice.
* Sing a song that is well set in your voice. This way you 'warm-down' and know if your practice of the day follows good technique for your vocal development. It is always fun to end your practice time by just singing something you love!
Remember: The more active your brain is when practicing, the more you will get out of your practice time and the quicker you will obtain your singing goals!
Tune in next week for how to have a more successful practice session and target trouble spots in practicing using the "Why" Technique.