Taking care of yourself is the first step in preparation to practice singing AND to perform.
Everyone says they are going to do a better job at taking care of themselves in the New Year. It's now mid-February and how are you doing with it? February is the NEW January in 2023, so lets get to it. Many high school and middle school singers are in the midst of their musical theater production rehearsal schedules and others are preparing for choir festivals. Its a time you are around so many other people, have more stress, and LESS sleep.
What are the most important things that YOU can do to take care of yourself and your singing voice? These tips take care of your BODY and well as your MIND to stay healthy.
1. Make a schedule that will help you to accomplish all that you need to get done. Make a list of what you need to do. Prioritize what need to be done today and daily vs. what can possibly wait. An example might be:
**Practice the song you are going to be working on in your lesson or rehearsal tomorrow.
**Study for your math test that is in 2 days for 30 minutes today and 30 minutes tomorrow.
** Look at lines for OFF Book rehearsal for 10 minutes each day so ready for Saturday
** Workout or do a few minutes of yoga to focus your mind.
2. Eat a healthy diet.
3. Stay well hydrated. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
4. Wash your hands and avoid close contact with those who are under the weather when possible.
5. Workout or do Yoga daily. It releases feel good endorphins and creates natural energy.
6. Make a good nights rest a priority.
7. Find time to relax and do something for you, even if only for 10 minutes
8. Prioritize your practice time. Remove your phone from your practice space (or silence it if you are using it to practice). Staying well practiced help you to maintain healthy technique when in rehearsal.
9. Meditate or stretch, breathe relaxing belly breaths, take a few minutes to connect with what YOUR inner voice is saying. Do you need to take a break to eat, walk around the room, chat with a friend?
10. Pay attention to your body and its signals. Starting to feel a scratchy throat or run down? Gargle with salt water or take vocal rest.
Taking a few extra minutes to PLAN your days will remind you to take things one step at a time and keep your stress levels under control. Taking care of your needs will keep you healthy. A healthy body and a health mind equal a healthy voice!!