As we enter the seasonal New Year Resolutions, I find myself making new resolutions for my singing, teaching, and personal life. Make the resolutions realistic and attainable. Maybe you just need to get more organized or take more time for you to be more effective in your practice. Make your own tree of resolutions that can grow throughout the year. What can you resolve to do to make yourself a better singer, better, student, better teacher, better you? A few things always come to mind for me:
1. Make a schedule of practicing and stick to it!
2. Pick a focus for each practice session.
3. Set goals for singing for myself (and my students).
4. Make a timeline to achieve those goals.
5. Sing just for the sake of singing a few times a week.
6. Workout (cardio and/or yoga) 3-5 times per week. Do what suits you and your mind.
7. Drink lots of water and try to get 8 hours of sleep per night.
8. Take 10 minutes a day (or more if you can) to do something for yourself.
9. Tell people in your life how much they mean to you and take the time to say "Thank you" or "I love you."
10. Breathe when it seems too much and regroup. It will all work out.
This may seem like a long list. They are little attainable goals. I think I can make them work. Take what you like, disregard what you do not. Regardless, do your best to make 2019 a happy, prosperous, and wonderful year!