As the fall rapidly creeps along, so too do the problems of allergies (thank you falling leaves) and colds (thank you all of us being together and sharing our germs). It is so important to take care of your body as a singer at the first sign of a sniffle. You can stop it from getting worse with some preventive measures.
It may be allergies. If you are prone to fall allergies due to the falling leaves, mold, ragweed, start taking your allergy medicine. Wash your hair before you go to bed or regularly change your pillowcases so you don't sleep in the allergens.
It could also be the start of a cold. If it has been going on for a few days, it may have started as allergies and gone to a cold. Go to bed earlier and drink some more O.J.
You may be feeling some stress since the school year schedule is in full swing! Stop and pay attention! The best thing you can do is respond to what your body is telling you! What are some specifics?
10 Top Things to Take Care of Yourself and Your Singing Voice
1. Good Hygiene- Wash your hands and don't touch your face
2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water (or non-caffeinated beverage) a day
3. SLEEP at least 8 hours every night!
4. Exercise 3-5 times a week to keep up your immune system
5. Reduce Medicines - Use nasal saline spray first, medicines last, but take allergy medicines
6. Sing Well - good posture, breath support, and sing in correct range
7. Speak Well - Support your speech as if you are singing, minimize talking, don’t
yell over loud noise!
8. Practice Everything in Moderation (Singing and Speaking and Activity Level)
9. Pay attention to your body signals. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!
10. Find time for a little relaxation and de-stressing time!
Your body knows what it is saying. If you take care of it and listen to it, you can make it through the allergies and stress and not get sick thus preserving your wonderful singing voice! Keep singing!