It is indeed the time of year when every time you turn around someone is sick right next to you. The back and forth between frigid temperatures and blasting heat wreaks havoc on our respiratory systems and we get a cold. We are trapped inside with family and friends who are sick and get sick ourselves. What are the best ways to make sure that you are not a victim of the double edged sword?
10 Things to Do to Make Sure You Don't Get Sick this Winter
1. Avoid Contact with Those Who are Sick if at ALL Possible
2. Practice Good Hygiene
- Regularly wash your hands and minimize touching your face
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day
- Avoid or minimize caffeine, it dries you out!
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night (more if you can)!
5. Avoid Unnecessary Medication
- Decongestants, Cold Medications, Inhalers are drying agents.
- Use Nasal Saline Spray!
6. Stay Physically Fit
- Exercise often (3-5 times weekly)
- Walking, swimming, running, yoga, and pilates are all excellent for singing!
7. Use Good Singing Technique (ALL the time)
- Good posture, breath support, correct range and appropriate repertoire
8. Use Good Speech Habits
- Support your speech as you would your singing
- Don’t yell or talk over loud noise!
9. Don't Sing or Talk too Much
- Try not to talk too much, too fast, too low in pitch, and breathe often
10. Make time for a little relaxation and de-stressing! The more you take care of YOU the healthier you are!
** Above all take care of yourself and pay attention to your body signals! If it doesn’t feel good, don’t do it!