Effective and Efficient Practice for Voice Lessons and Singing Success
1. Establish a time and place to practice daily. Write it in your planner or schedule it on your phone.
2. Pick 2 goals for each of your practice sessions. For Example
a) Master the notes and rhythms of a new piece.
b) Add language of the piece separate from the music (Speak the Italian)
3. Turn off all electronic distractions: Ringer and Alerts on Phones, Computer. Make sure you have Water and Quiet.
4. Warm up using the vocalize given to you by your teacher and others that you know help you warm-up well.
5. Focus on ONE goal of your practice at a time in both vocalize and repertoire work.
6. Keep a Practice Log: Write down any techniques, warm-ups, musical phrases that really work for you that day. Diligence with noting what works well for you will help you and your teacher.
7. Cool down with a song that sits well in your voice.
8. On the successive days of practice, read your notes of the previous day.
9. Build upon your successes and continue working on the things you need to spend more time on.
10. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!